Tuesday, August 16, 2011

South India vs North India

I have been absent from the blogging scene for quite some time now.
It was a long weekend (Rakhi on 13th, Independence day on 15th), and hence a good opportunity for me to travel and be with my boys.
I went to South India and decided to unplug. No gizmo with me. No lap top, no camera, no work calls, nothing. Just me and my boys and unwinding time.
But of course, my mind and eyes were open. So what I have not captured with my camera, I can pen it down.
For one thing, I have my final verdict. Delhi Rocks. Delhi girls are the best looking, best dressed and smartest girls. Nowhere else, in any part of India, I see similar hi fashion. Girls, who actually take pains to dress up.

South India has terrible fashion sense. (Sorry, all my south Indian friends, who would like to disagree). It is HOT there. Very hot. Yet, I see women dressed in silk saris, all the time. They do not seem to know anything about cotton saris. On top of it, dark and garish color combinations. Visualize

Purple and green
Orange and mustard
navy blue and yellow
Dark green (like leaf green, moth green or military green) and purple or mustard.

Where are the colors like lilac, peach, creme, powder blue, baby pink, lime green, beige, white? Absent from their dictionaries.

These women are dark. Very dark. And in hot weather, they wear such color combinations in silk and shiny yellow zari (which is mostly not real zari but tested artificial). They have no connection with something called pastels, cottons, subtle combinations.
They wear silk blouses, with armpits covered with sweat, that show. The jewelry is bright, shiny yellow gold. The footwear is chappals and never heels.

Look at south Indian movies. The actresses are seldom svelte, slim and fit. They are buxom and voluptuous. They romance mature (above 40), fat, dark, heroes.

Worst is there driving skills. They constantly honk all the time, for no reason, whatsoever. Every cab I sat in, bashed other cars at least twice. Both the parties shouted some abuses that I did not understand and went ahead unaffected. Every car I saw, was scratched and had dents. Red lights, lane driving, no honking, seat belts- such concepts were unheard of for them. I held my breath every time I sat in a cab and thanked God for being alive, every time I got down.

Am back to Delhi and must say- It is a heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment