Sunday, February 10, 2013

FAQ's Tango

I teach Tango in Delhi. Some of the questions from client queries that I would like to answer here. 

FAQ's

Q. I have got two left feet. Can I still learn to Tango?
A. Yes. I specialize in two left feet. Tango is a pedestrian dance. If you can walk, you can dance too.

Q. How long will it take for me to learn Tango?
A. Lifetime. I am still learning myself. 

Q. I am not used to wearing heels. Because of my foot injury, I have been asked to avoid heels. Can I still dance Tango?
A. Yes, wear your comfortable flat shoes. I will show you how to make them practice shoes and dance in them.

Q. Do I need to come with a partner?
A. Tango is a partner dance. However, it is not mandatory to come to a class with your partner. In class, you will make friends and have partner to dance with.

Q: What's all this 'connection' stuff in tango?
A: The connection in tango is that ultimate tanda experience; no one else matters other than you and your partner. Everything flows perfectly, without effort... the movement, the music, the physical contact, the steps. It is both intoxicating and addictive. Two bodies, one being. It’s rare, unique for everyone, but you know it when you’ve experienced it: when the song ends, and you want that embrace to continue...


Q: Should I take private lessons?
A: The age-old question with no clear cut answer. Personally, I found that weekly group classes and going to practicas/milongas, did not really improve me until I took private classes. There are a number of things private classes can give you: focusing on what you want at the rate you need; refining a move to the nth degree; and unlearning the many (many!) bad habits you picked up without even realizing it. If you can afford it, do it.


Q. Is Argentine Tango the Same as Ballroom Tango?
A. No. They started out from the same roots, but location, time and the ever evolving nature of dance have made them separate dances. The American and International ballroom tangos you may see on PBS, are very different from the tango danced socially in Argentina. Argentine tango is different from the ballroom tangos in its posture, embrace, improvisation, movement, balance, steps, and music. It's completely different from the top of your head to the bottom of the soles of the shoes you dance it with.
If you have a background in ballroom tango, just think of Argentine tango as a completely new dance—not as an enhancement of the one you already know.

Q. Is Argentine Tango the Stage Dance?

A. Quite a few people develop an interest in dancing tango because they have seen a stage performance of tango. The tango you see on stage is related to social tango, but it is also very different. Stage tango is called "fantasia" and is more theatrical and exaggerated than social tango for the simple reason that the audience must be able to see it performed from the back row.Watching a performance is a wonderful opportunity to see tango and (hopefully) hear a live tango orchestra. Once you've heard a bandoneon played live, you'll never forget it.




No comments:

Post a Comment